Francesca Bowden (left) and Pip Bagley from cocoloco
We chat to Pip Bagley from cocoloco about the many benefits of this super quenching natural beverage…
What are the heath benefits of raw coconut water?
There are SO many reasons why raw coconut water is so damn good for you. I could go on all day about the health benefits but below are the ones our customers are most surprised about:
– In one cocoloco coconut there is more potassium than a banana and fewer calories than an apple.
– No added sugar and extremely low in fat (0.01g of saturated fat in 350ml to be exact).
– Coconut water helps keep your appetite at bay and makes you feel full because of its rich nature.
– It aids digestion so if you have problems with your tummy, coconut water provides a source of relief. As its high in fiber it reduces indigestion, bloating and also acid reflux.
– It’s the ultimate hangover remedy. Next time you overdo it, drink plenty of raw coconut water, it replaces those essential electrolytes that exit the body after you consume alcohol.
– Coconut water is the closest thing to your blood plasma. This means you could use it in extreme emergencies to quickly rehydrate the human body intravenously. It is not uncommon for coconut water to be used in poorer, third world countries to save lives.
Why has coconut water become so popular recently?
Because not only does it have all the benefits as stated above but it actually tastes amazing. Coconut water, is extracted from a coconut (fruit), is low in calories, has no fat and over 70% less sugar than most juices. But its most important attribute and the reason we think it is as popular as it is, is that it is an excellent rehydrater and health drink.
How does it help you recover after a workout?
Unlike any other natural beverage on the market, coconut water contains five essential electrolytes that are present in the human body. These include: calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium and sodium, deeming it ‘nature’s energy drink’.
Coconut water is packed with over fifteen times more potassium than regular sports drinks, potassium is a key player in rehydration, along with sodium, magnesium and calcium, these electrolytes helps maintain fluid in the body and therefore make coconut water a perfect post workout beverage.
Some people might be put off coconuts because of their high fat content — can you talk about that?
Funny you say that as coconut water has nearly 0% fat, people get confused with coconut milk, cream and especially oil which are all very high in fat. These fats however are good saturated fat, similar to avocado and actually don’t raise cholesterol if used in moderation.
What makes coconut water so amazing is that it not only tastes good but it is ridiculously good for you. There are about 63 calories in one cocoloco coconut. To put that in perspective that’s about the same as eating 10 raw almonds.
What is the main difference between bottled and fresh coconut water, apart from the obvious?
We are proud to say we are the only RAW coconut water company supplying coconut water to cafes, bars, gyms and eateries in New Zealand. Unless it has been cold-pressed, packaged coconut water has been put through a heat pasteurization system. This means it has been boiled (to 100 degrees) and stripped of its amazing benefits and taste, then put in a bottle to sit on the shelf for months on end. Anything fresh shouldn’t last a year.
Can you give us a healthy recipe using coconut water?
Well as you can imagine adding rum to our coconuts makes a damn good Paleo cocktail (we have just released our Smoke & Coco cocktail with Stolen Rum). Add extra nutrition in your smoothies by replacing your honey/milk with coconut water or blend with fresh pineapple and pop into the freezer for 100% natural ice blocks.
But our favourite (and daily) coconut water recipe is below.
Cocoloco Morning Magic
1 cocoloco coconut including flesh
1 frozen banana
5 raw (or roasted with NO salt) almonds
¼ cup of oats
½ cup of cold filtered water
1 scoop of Nuzest Clean Lean protein powder (you can use any organic protein powder)
Pop all ingredients into a blender or our new obsession a Nutribullet and blend. When ingredients are in a smooth consistency, pour into a glass and enjoy.